There are many places in Virginia to enjoy a day on the water with your boat. The Virginia Beach area in specific has endless waterways that on warm summer days are bustling vessels of all sorts. Jet skis, boats, paddleboarders, and kayakers make good use of spring and summer in the area.
Heading out in a boat is a serious task and operators must remain alert and engage in safe boating practices. Negligent behavior can easily lead to a serious boating accident. There are numerous boating accidents that take place in Virginia Beach every year. Many of the injuries that result are catastrophic.
If you were injured in a Virginia Beach boating accident, call Virginia Beach Injury Law. The Virginia Beach boating accident attorney at Virginia Beach Injury Law can evaluate your accident experience and provide you guidance on how to obtain compensation.
Most Common Injuries from Boating Accidents
According to the United States Coast Guard, in 2020, boating accidents in the United States caused 767 deaths. These incidents also were responsible for 3,191 injuries and over $60 million of property damages.
Boat accidents happen for a variety of reasons including:
- Intoxicated boat operators.
- Defective parts.
- Falling over the sides of a boat or being ejected.
- Injuries from a boat’s propeller.
- Not operating the vessel correctly and making mistakes.
All boating accidents have the potential for death and injuries. The most common injuries that are reported every year from boating accidents include:
- The loss of one’s limbs from injuries that require amputation. Or having limbs amputated as a result of the accident itself.
- Broken bones.
- Damages to the head and resulting brain tissue destruction.
- Spinal cord trauma.
A victim of a boating accident, a jet ski accident in Virginia Beach, or another injury event on the water should immediately seek medical attention. Then, speaking with a jet ski accident attorney in Newport News is advisable.
If a boat accident injury claim is filed various parties may be liable including:
- The boat operator.
- The boat owner.
- The rental company that released the boat.
- The manufacturer of the boat.
- A passenger was on the boat at the time of the incident.
Passengers and operators on a boat should take caution while they are out on the water. Some of these safe boating procedures include:
- Wearing a life jacket because this safety gear has been known to save more than 80% of lives when a boating accident takes place.
- Do not operate a boat if inebriated.
- Take a boating safety course.
- Keep up on regular boat maintenance.
- Follow state boating laws.
- Keep plenty of water for drinking on the boat.
- Boat during the daytime hours only when possible.
- Check the weather before going out on the water, and plan to exit the water if the weather takes a turn for the worse.
Speak with a Newport News Boat Accident Injury Attorney Today
If you were injured on a boat because of another party’s negligence, speaking with a Hampton Road personal injury attorney can help you learn more about your rights and ability to obtain compensation. If you lost a loved one in a fatal Newport News boating accident, Virginia Beach Injury Law can also advise you on the wrongful death claim process in Virginia. Call Virginia Beach Injury Law today to schedule a free consultation at (757) 802-4662.